• December 1Tues. Dec. 5 - End Trimester 1

• December 1Wed. Dec. 6 - PTO Teacher Appreciation

• December 1Fri. Dec. 8 - 6th Grade TGIF - 7:30pm

New York International Auto Show

Mr. Serra, Teacher

Every year, in the week of Easter, a variety of car manufacturers, hundreds of cars, and thousands of spectators travel to The Javits center in New York City for the annual Auto Show. Manufacturers display their current models, exciting new concepts and future cars to the general public. But who is the “general public” who attends these auto shows and why do they attend? Why should you consider attending the auto show?

I myself, a self professed car enthusiast, attend the auto show every year. But then again, I love cars. The funny thing is out of the 300+ cars on display, I probably only spend time observing, photographing, and learning more about 15 or so cars every year. These are cars that I am excited about and that I don’t see every day. A 2.6 million dollar Bugatti Chiron for the first time in US spec; sure. A 3.5 million dollar Koenigsegg RS1 with 1,360 horsepower but weighs less than a Toyota Prius; definitely. The new Ford GT which isn’t yet available to the public; why not. There are also new cars being unveiled at the event that information has only been available for hours because this is the first time anyone other than the designers have seen the car. So the best way to get information about cars like this is the event like the 840 horsepower Dodge Demon which has the fastest quarter mile time of any production car. I attend because I love the opportunity to see so many rare, expensive, and exotic cars all under one roof.  

The other main audience of the New York International Auto Show is anyone who is looking to buy a car in the next year and is unsure of what they want to buy. Many consumers have an idea of what kind of car they want but are unsure of which one to buy. For example, let’s say a person wants to buy a luxury SUV. They may be unsure if they want to buy a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, Tesla, Cadillac, Infiniti, or Porsche. Not to mention they may not know what size vehicle they want; the full sized BMW X5, midsize X3, or the smaller X1? There is nowhere else on earth where you can go see and even sit in all of these vehicles all in one convenient location. Where, traditionally, it may take days to visit all of these different car dealers, see all of the different cars, and deal with salesmen; it can all be done in a few hours at the Auto Show.

If you love cars and want to see the latest and greatest or if your family is looking to purchase a new car I would highly recommend attending The New York International Auto Show. It is a great way to spend a spring afternoon in New York City and to learn about all of the newest and coolest cars of the year in one place.