• December 1Tues. Dec. 5 - End Trimester 1

• December 1Wed. Dec. 6 - PTO Teacher Appreciation

• December 1Fri. Dec. 8 - 6th Grade TGIF - 7:30pm

8th Grade Students Perform Their Self-Written Plays

Teachers act out one the the 8th Grade group's One Act Plays

Kayla Cohen, Writer

On Thursday May 18th, many students, faculty, and parents came to watch a selected group of MMS teachers perform plays written by 8th grade students. Mr. Oppel, an 8th Grade English teacher, organized the event and has for over a decade.

Every eighth grader wrote a play during March, and Mr. Oppel picked 6 groups to present their “One Act Plays” in front of an audience. The students spent weeks editing their acts, to earn a spot in the show.

Teachers volunteered to be actors and actresses, and performed dressed in simple costumes with basic props. Many plays caused the crowd to burst out laughing, but others focused on historical events, or problems in the world.

• Matthieu Changeux, Prisha Mehta, and Uma Nachiappan wrote Rhymes Relationships and Poetry about two ex-friends who need to write a poem for their teacher, Mr. Huneryager. The girls, played by Mrs. Detore and Miss. Wen, confront each other about their feelings towards each other through clever poetic lines. Mr. Chernoski played a member of the group, who is very confused by what they are talking about in their poem. 
  • Aashna Moorjani, April Wang, and Beatrice Han wrote Paying the Price, about Benedict Arnold, a general who was influenced by his wife to make the decision to betray the American Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. The playwrights increased the intensity of the Arnold making his decision by using sound effects, special lighting, and captivating costumes. Mr. Chernoski played George Washington, Mr. Serra played Benedict Arnold, and Sra. Cuneo played his wife, Peggy. The beginning of the play had an exposition narrated by Mr. Obod.
  • During A Twist of Events by Kyra Rauschkolb, Marilyn Gates, Ann-Marie Akoh, and Jillian O’Neel is focused on a Vanessa, who’s best friend reads her journal, and sees that the Vanessa likes her. The play focused on showing a message about sexuality. Ms. Detore played Vanessa, Mrs. Loikith played Nora, and Mr. Serra played Andrew.
  • Courtney Barry, Kayla Cohen, Blythe Lander, and Ellie Yatco wrote The Elderly Escape people living in a terrible retirement home, who are desperate to escape. In the play, Mr. Zuraweicki, Sra. Cuneo, and Mr. Corlett acted as old people with accents, canes, and glasses. Mr. Greenberg, played Larry, and Mrs. Detore, a retirement home staff member, who wanted to stop the escape. Ms. Lokith played a character who had a coughing fit in the beginning of the performance.
  • Ishaan Vora, Sachin Sahay, and William Qin wrote Eigenbases about middle school boys who love math, but feel a method that their teacher is showing them is too time-consuming and would rather use a faster equation. The students were played by Mr. Corlett, Mr. Żuraweicki, and Mr. Greenberg, who wore a sideways baseball cap and said “I wouldn’t want to be a teacher.” The teacher was played by Mr. Huneryager.
  • The last play, written by Griffin Talbert, Manny Shoyombo, Michael Leff, and Robert Almgren, was about a Rick who does not feel he is fairly treated by his parents, who make him dig in the backyard. When Rick finds a gold nugget, he does not want to show it to his parents, and instead calls over a dealer to give him a price. The man tells him that it isn’t gold, and he’ll give him $20 for it, but he later finds out that the gold was worth $5 million. Mr. Chernoski, Mr. Greenberg, Mr. Serra, Mr. Obod, and Mrs. Ipp. Mr. Serra played Chumlee who had the whole audience in hysterics because of his huge stomach and hilarious lines.

After all the hard work, the students were overwhelmed to see their plays finally acted out live, and the audience loved seeing the multiple plays performed. The student playwrights were extremely grateful to Mr. Oppel and all the teachers who helped to perform the plays!