Diwali is Thursday October 19th

This Thursday, October 19, many people worldwide will be celebrating the Indian Festival of Lights, Diwali.

From deafening fireworks to candlelit diyas, Diwali is well known to most as the festival of lights in India. In Hindu tradition, it celebrates the return of the beloved prince of Ayodhya, Prince Rama, after his victory over the ten-headed demon Ravana, thus celebrating the triumph of good over evil.

It is considered India’s most holy and celebrated holiday, with Hindus, Sikhs, Jains and more celebrating it for different reasons. It contains many festive components, like beautiful powder floor decorations called Rangolis, numerous parties, sparklers, prayers (puja), decorative cup-like candles (diyas), sweets (mithai) and more.

Diwali incorporates many of the Hindu gods, including Prince Rama, Lakshmana, Sita, the popular mountain-lifting, mace-wielding, flying monkey-god Hanuman, and much more. Because of its diversity in celebration, it has become one of the most celebrated holidays worldwide.

In India, the number of non-Hindus who celebrate Diwali is roughly equal the number of non-Christians celebrating Christmas in the United States. However, for non-celebrating people, we’ll give you the details for why Diwali is celebrated.

The Story:

In Hindu tradition, Rama, prince of Ayodhya, was the son of Dasharatha and had three brothers. Those three brothers were Lakshmana, Bharata, and Shatrughna. Rama was born to the first queen of Dasharatha, Kaushalya. Bharata, the second oldest, was born to Kaikeyi, and Lakshmana and Shatrughna were twins of the third queen, Sumitra. One day, Kaikeyi accompanied Dasharatha into battle, and Dasaratha’s chariot axle broke. Kaikeyi loyally put her hand in the axle and helped Dasharatha win the war. For this valiant act, Dasharatha granted Kaikeyi any wish that she wanted. When Rama was about to be crowned king, she used the wish. Following her devious maid’s advice, she used her wish to crown her son Bharata on the throne while Bharata was off in war. She also wished in the same sentence to exile the great Rama for fourteen years. Dasharatha fainted at the wish, but Rama, being the valorous person that he was, accepted his fate. Dasharatha woke, and soon after, died of the news, grief-stricken.

When Bharata returned to Ayodhya, he was destroyed by the news. The four brothers had been close, and all respected Rama. Bharata did not want to be the king and set after his brother, who had been accompanied by his wife, Sita, and Lakshmana. When Bharata finally caught up to them, he begged his brother to come back to the throne, but Rama refused, saying how he would fulfill his second mother’s wish. However, he gave Bharata his sandals, and his second oldest brother said he would rule for the sandals, which represented Rama. As Bharata left, Rama continued with his two companions and built a household within the forest.

At the household, a demon disguised as a lovely maiden fell in love with Rama. However, due to his marriage with the beautiful Sita, he did not fall for her. The demon then tried to get Lakshmana to marry her, but Lakshmana said he did not want a maiden, and the demon got angry. Through force, she tried to take Lakshmana, but with quick reflexes, Rama sliced off her nose. The demon began her horrible transformation into what she was and then fled, knowing her disguise was gone. She complained to her brothers, but when they attacked, Rama and Lakshmana annihilated the entire army that came for them. The she-demon then went to her cousin, Ravana. He was the fearsome ruler of Lanka and had multiple heads, all of which he could see, but all of them would grow back if cut off. He captured Sita through manipulating Rama and Lakshmana and returned to Lanka with his prized prisoner.

Rama spent years trying to catch the demon and retrieve his wife, and along the way, formed a helpful group of bears and monkey men. One of the monkey-men, named Hanuman, found Sita and brought back her ring to prove it to Rama. War began to rage between Ravana’s army and Rama’s army, and finally, after shooting Ravana in the only place that could diminish his life force for good (the belly button), Rama retrieved his beloved Sita.

Returning back to the forests, Rama realized that fourteen years had passed, and returned to Ayodhya, which had lit up the entire path with diyas, or sacred Hindu candles, so that Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana could see the way. The day was celebrated with a lot of light, and the occasion became known as Diwali. Hanuman, who grew to love Rama, stayed by his side as Prince Rama finally acquired his rightful position as king of Ayodhya.

Diwali is a festival to celebrate the return of heroes with lights galore. It is an incredible festivity that spans across the globe. Now you know if any house is colorfully or festively lit too early for Christmas, Diwali is here.