The Escaped Dog Outside Mr. Oppel’s Room

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mack Harris and Ziv S. Segal

Remember being a five year old and telling your mom and dad that you wanted a dog?  Well, Mr. Oppel’s sixth period LAR class got to have their own puppy for 45 minutes. On Friday the 13th, a pit bull mix was spotted outside, near the outer staircase of the eighth grade wing hallway.

It all started when the class was having a discussion on Of Mice and Men, a book by John Steinbeck, and the main topic was an old dog being put out of it’s misery.  One student, who was looking out the window, located a dog and pointed it out, realizing the irony in the situation. Mr. Oppel then curiously went outside to find it, and the students lined up near the windows to watch.

Mr. Oppel failed to catch the dog and then went back in the classroom. Soon after, three students spotted the dog again. In the end, one of the students managed to locate the dog.

Mr. Oppel then found that the dog had two tags on his collar; one that said “HOWBETH”, and another that said “Joe”. The tags also included a phone number, so Mr. Oppel instructed one student to get their phone and dial the number. After a brief conversation the owner and Mr. Oppel chose to meet in the back field.

Once secure, the rest of the class came out, and they all surrounded the dog. Every student seemed to grow attached to, “Joe” in a matter of seconds.

Mr. Oppel jokingly said later, “You know, I’m always looking for a break from the day, something out of the ordinary, so I welcomed this.” The owner showed up and was escorted by Security Guard Cuomo on the back field to be reunited with their dog.

According to the owner, he and his dog were on a walk. He said, “Well, we were walking around and my dog started barking. Did you know there is a groundhog running around here? Right there, near the rails. Joe just started running, leash still connected to him.” 

After all of this craziness, this was a happy moment for the students to watch a man being reunited with it’s best friend.    

Mack Harris, Writer

Mack Harris is a fourteen year old boy who goes to Millburn Middle school, and he likes tennis, golf, and hanging out with friends.  His favorite subject...

Ziv S. Segal, Writer

Ziv moved from Israel to the USA when she was ten. In her free time, she writes stories, takes fencing classes, spends time with her friends, and conquers...