• February 15Wed. Feb 28 - 6th Grade Cycle 3 Ends

Day of Code at the Washington School

In today’s world, technology is constantly advancing and changing. On December 8, the MASH and STEAM peer leaders went to the new Washington School for the Day of Code. There were about 400 fifth graders in total participating in the STEMinars, and over the course of three periods, the STEAM peer leaders taught them how to build a robotic arm made of pencils, paper clips, tape, string, binder clips, fasteners, rubber bands, and cardboard. The robotic arm picked up a cup full of pennies. The MASH peer leaders taught them how to create a code so a robot could stack cups.

A STEAM peer leader said, “The seminars are a great way to introduce STEAM and STEM to teach fifth graders and younger students moving up to the middle school and high school about how to problem solve.”

Ms. Haggerty, an organizer of the Day of Code, said, “Today is all about empowering students and having them be a part of an innovative idea. It’s important to be exposed to days like this to foster them to be more innovative and for them . . .  to tackle these kinds of ideas.”

According to a study done by Florida State University, STEM workers tend to earn 26% more money than non-STEM jobs. So many see introducing STEM in elementary schools as critical for helping children develop an interest in these jobs.

Fortunately, the fifth graders at Washington School were very interested in the activities that the STEAM and MASH peer leaders brought. They loved working together to find a creative solution. One fifth grader said, “It’s fun and interesting to learn because this is basically the next generation. People who don’t do this normally have the chance to do it now.”

Casey Hein, a MASH peer leader, said, “The kids have really gotten the hang of it and they’re starting to visualize what the code really means.”

The fifth grade’s inventions were very unique. Some looked too complex to be made by fifth graders, however, Gavin Vanderploeg made an intricate clamp to lift his cup with pennies. He used popsicle sticks, tape, and brass fasteners.

All in all, it was amazing to see young students interested in STEM, assisted by the STEAM and MASH peer leaders. Their enthusiasm for the subjects gives hope for their future as successful adults!