In the Newsroom – Behind the Scenes at PEN

Nikhil Bansal

You’ve read a lot of our articles, but do you know what happens to make these articles a reality? This is Nikhil Bansal revealing what the inner workings of PEN. The numerous articles we write require a large amount of effort and cooperation.

You might be wondering how an article is created. Well, it starts off as an idea. The idea then gets approved or denied by our Peer Leader advisor, Mr. Chernoski. If it’s approved, some steps still need to be taken before the article starts to be written. The writer has to tell our producer, Madeline Bryant, some important information about the article, such as the title, and the date it will be done. Finally, the article then starts to be written.

During the writing, the author has to research and may need to do some interviews. After they’re done, they have to copy the story on to a draft on the Penpoint website. They also have to include a cover photo for the article. Before it can be officially uploaded, the article has to be edited by 2 other PEN peer leaders and Mr. Chernoski. Finally, the article goes live on the Penpoint website.

When writing an article, sometimes we need firsthand information. During school, or afterschool, we may plan an interview with a teacher, student, or faculty member. We typically use our phones to record the interview, or we may scribe it on a piece of paper. These interviews help us add credibility and extra information to our articles. We also need a cover photo for each article, or for an instagram post, so we’ll take a fair use image from the internet, or just snap a photo on our phones. Writing articles is a lot more than just sitting at our computers.

The Penpoint does a lot more than just write articles. You’ve probably heard of our, “Photo of the Month” contests, where people submit pictures fitting a certain category, and the winner gets money. But we’re planning on making different types of contests, and we do EVEN MORE than just contests. We have an Instagram account, @mmspeerleaders. We also write and deliver the morning announcements. If you’ve read our articles, you might have seen one of our polls pop up in the corner.

Like most other peer leaders, we meet every Wednesday. Our meetings take place in the Library Lab, and start by huddling in the center of the room and playing a fun game as a warm up. We also discuss story ideas and other ideas.

Then, he sends people without a story to take photos for Instagram. This is also the time when many people go to their schedule interviews. Everybody then breaks apart to start working on their articles. Our meetings are pretty relaxed. There’s music playing, people are talking, and helping each other with articles.

So now you know all about the real PEN. Our goal is to keep you informed about the school, and the world. We write about what you really care about, and want to know. Here at the Penpoint, our articles are by students, for students.