• May 25Wed. May 30 - Orchestra Concert - 7pm

• May 25Thurs. May 31 - Band Concert - 7pm

SOAR’s New School Murals

Ritvik Bordia

There are two murals that soon will go up on display in the cafeteria and the window hallway. One is the color of MMS, with a blue mustang in the front and a large “M” in the background. The Mustang is made up in an ombre effect, which means that there are multiple shades of blue all blending together from light to dark. The second mural is painted in varieties of black and white, overall, creating an abstract graffiti look. You would think that black and white don’t have that many shades, but just looking at this mural disproves any theory that one has about this.

Mrs. Sohr, the leader of this project, noted on the graffiti mural, “The colors simplify the overall looks so that the person looking at it really thinks about it,” she said. Mrs. Sohr enjoys the way that the mural depicts the core values of each group, along with the idea that it is something for all the peer leaders, not just for a group like MASH or SPORT. The mural is supposed to be on the window hallway, a hallway which is always bright and will light up the mural to its fullest capacity.

Mrs. Michael came up with the idea of the mural because she wanted to create a visual reminder of the ties peer leaders have with the school and the community. Together, Mrs. Michael and Mrs. Sohr agreed upon a mural, and now, it is almost ready to go on display.

The mustang mural also has many aspects that Mrs. Sohr likes. “It’s something different, but it is a visual reminder of all the good things that everybody has done in school,” says Mrs. Sohr. The idea of this mural was thought of by Mr. Connolly, the MMS principal. He wanted a mural that depicted the school colors and showed the school spirit. In order to depict the mural’s idea, Mrs. Sohr and Mr. Connolly decided that it looked best in the cafeteria, there so that everyone can see it on a daily basis. Although much of the mural must be completed, the mustang, which is the main focus, is complete, with the “M” close behind.

Many of the SOAR peer leaders worked on these amazing murals. Angela Huang, Tiffany Lang, Burke Seeger, Veronica Song, Isha Vajpeyar, Zach Lui-Walter, Jacqueline Zhao, and Roni Zuckerman all worked on the graffiti mural, making it an amazing team effort and putting all of their effort into their work. 

“It was fun, but also frustrating to mix the exact shades every time we ran out or stopped working for the day. Also, it was cool how we got to come up with the logos for each peer leader group,” said Burke Seeger, a SOAR peer leader.

The colorful mural is being created by Carly Gladson, Chloe Mason, and Emma Qain. The trio gave it everything, and so far, the murals have turned out great.

The reasons behind why these murals were made are vast. First of all, they solidify the peer leader dedication to community service and guide students with becoming better people. They are core reminders of service and activities, which help in building a lasting community. The entire process is a school effort, where somebody might have started it, but someone else finished it, allowing the creations to be creative and deviate from what is expected. This instills a creative and fun environment. In the end, the entire process of creating the murals teaches students how one idea can grow by working together and together, people can accomplish anything.