Ghosts, Ghouls, and Ghastlies: Happy Halloween!

Anvika Hegde, Author

Ghosts. There was a time when we were instantly frightened by that diaphanous sheet imprinted with a sad, hollow face. Of course, as we grew older, fear was replaced by disbelief-they were fake, right? Despite no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts, many people from all over the world still believe in and fear them. Let’s take a look at a few spine-tingling ghost stories that may make you shudder in dread this Halloween. Or not.

During the reign of the Chinese emperor Hsuan (around 700-800 BCE), a man named Tu-Po was hired as a minister. Not long after, the two got into an argument which ended with Hsuan killing Tu-Po, despite Tu-Po’s warnings that he would come back to haunt him. And surprisingly, he was right. It was only three years later, that Hsuan was killed by an arrow closely resembling the arrow that Tu-Po was killed with, fired by an unidentified assailant. What a coincidence!

The iconic Tower of London screams two words out to you when you walk in: dark and haunted. In 1483, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, imprisoned his two nephews, the rightful heirs to the crown, in the Tower of London in order to seize power. The two princes were never seen again. In 1675, almost two hundred years after, the bones of these poor souls were finally discovered, buried in a wooden box. But, many have claimed that their spirits still haunt the tower at night, relentlessly trying to find their way out to escape their unfortunate fate.

Last but not least, who can forget about the Amityville Horror. In 1974, Ronald Defeo Jr was accused of murdering his family. Surprisingly, there was no evidence of a struggle or gun. This was odd. The following year, the Lutzes family moved in, only to move out within a month. Why? The family claimed that voices were heard around the house, their daughter developed an imaginary friendship with a red-eyed pig called Jodie, the house attracted swarms of flies, there was banging on the walls and the furniture was said to move on its own. An investigation was carried out, but no explanation was found. In fact, the investigators said that they too saw strange phenomena happening with their own eyes!

Whether it is China, London, or America, ghosts stories are a part of every culture. Maybe the fascination with the spooky and the macabre is universal and binds us as a human race.

Happy Halloween!