Are you a Geography Genius? Here is everything you need to know about the National Geographic Geo Bee

(Photo Credit: Candateshia Pafford, U.S. Army Garrison Japan Public Affairs)

James Beacham and Aamir Jamil

This year, the Middle School will revive the National GeoBee, on the local level. The bee is a nation-wide competition that tests the geographic knowledge of fourth to eighth graders. To enter the competition, all you have to do is show up to school on December 19th and 20th.

Social Studies teachers will run through rounds of questions for each of their classes until there is one classroom winner. That means there will be 5 winners from each team, and if you add all the teams up across grade levels, there will be 11 winners in the school.

Those 11 classroom winners will then compete against each other, and the winner there will become the representative for the school.

The representative then takes a test to qualify for the state championship and if they pass, they visit Rowan University with other school winners on March 29th. If they succeed there, then they go to Nationals in Washington D.C.

During the MMS bees, the questions will be based off the 5 themes of geography: Location, Place, Movement, Human/Environment Interactions, and Regions. The questions will progressively get harder, but the first grouping of questions will be a choice question (one answer or the other). The 11 winners will be announced on December 21st. The school-wide competition will be held on January 8th!

So if you’re interested, you can start preparing by studying from National Geographic’s recommended lessons.

Good Luck!

Sample Questions:

Which continent is the most densely populated in the world?

What is the coldest desert in the world? Gobi or Kalahari

What is the largest gulf in the world? Alaska or Gulf of Mexico

Name the longest line of latitude in the world. Prime Meridian or Equator

The Equator is known to have light winds also known as ________.

An isthmus connects Asia with what other country?

James Beacham, Author

My name is James Beacham. I love tennis, debate, model U.N, movies, writing and skiing.

Aamir Jamil, Writer

My name is  Aamir Jamil. I love to play tennis, read, bike and ski. I like science, math and social studies.