Behind the Scenes with Mr. VanBrunt

Behind the Scenes with Mr. VanBrunt

Emma Marx

Down in the darkest, deepest depths of the Dungeon lies one of the nicest, most enthusiastic, and funniest teacher in MMS, Mr. VanBrunt. Having a funny teacher during a dark year of a pandemic was exactly what I needed to cheer my whole year up! Mr. VanBrunt was born and raised in Scotch Plains, NJ, he grew up in a NY Jets-only environment. Personally,  as a NY Giants fan, this was his only flaw as a teacher, once I found out how great a teacher he was and still is, I let that flaw go! Mr. VanBrunt has been teaching for 4 years. In an interview, he said if he wasn’t teaching he would want to be in the football business or a coach. 

How did the popular science teacher become a science teacher? “When I was a kid being a science teacher was lingering in the back of my head, then in my final years of high school I decided to become a science teacher.” The main reason he became a teacher was that there are teachers that make you want to stay home and teachers that make you want to come to school. “My main goal was to be a teacher that makes students want to come to school.” As a former student of his, I definitely think that this goal was achieved. 

Mr. VanBrunt said that his favorite thing about teaching was watching students succeed, building positive relationships with students as well as working with an amazing staff. During the interview with Mr. VanBrunt I had asked him the question, What were you like as a student? There was a little hesitation, “I was a little bit of a goofball, but then again who isn’t!” Lastly, for any incoming students, Mr. VanBrunt has given you a piece of advice that I find immensely important: “You as a student can control three things, effort, attitude, and preparation.”